Cricket news | Steve Smith captaincy setback, ball-tampering scandal furore, Mark Taylor


Steve Smith’s push towards the Australia captain has been delayed by the resurgence of the ball handling scandal, former test skipper Mark Taylor said.

Taylor, one of Smith’s strongest supporters, also backed Australia’s Cape Town Test bowlers by insisting they were unwittingly part of ‘Sandpapergate’.

Smith lost his post as Australian captain and was sentenced to a 12-month ban from play for the ball tampering conspiracy; that he failed to stop, as opposed to initiation. Taylor thinks he can return as captain but the reopening old wounds was not helpful.

“It doesn’t help. Without a doubt, it doesn’t help his case, because he likes I’m sure most of the people involved in the game would like it to go away; which won’t go away,” Taylor said. said on Sports Sunday.

“There is no doubt that there is growing momentum around Steve Smith as a potential captain, no doubt about that.”

Taylor gave a passionate defense to Australian bowlers – Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc and Nathan Lyon – after their vehemently deny knowledge ball tampering system. Cummins himself is a potential future Australian captain.

“The obvious bleeding to me is that they didn’t know he had been tampered with. You just have to read what they said during the week,” Taylor said.

“If I could just read it:“ We didn’t know that some foreign substance had been brought into the field to change the condition of the ball. ”And as they said, the two match officials didn’t changed the ball.

“So there was an attempt to change the state of the ball but they didn’t succeed. The referee said, ‘This ball is still good, let’s go. “So they didn’t know.”

Taylor said he believed bowlers – “who I think have great integrity” – would have admitted knowledge or involvement in tampering in 2018, had they been involved.

Taylor also defended the investigative process undertaken by Cricket Australia given the circumstances. The probe was called a “joke” by Warner agent James Erskine last week.

“The question of whether Cricket Australia did enough three years ago, the answer is yes,” said Taylor.

“I think we had a four day window between the end of the Cape test and the start of the fourth test which was in Johannesburg, to send someone in, do an investigation, make a report and then make decisions about it. subject. It was obviously to send the three players home and take care of them afterwards.

“Yes, in an absolute ideal situation, of course not; it would have been great to have six months to do all of this. But we had a four day window and I think in that time frame we did well. . “

Taylor said he did not believe the release of the investigation report, so far blocked by Cricket Australia, would help end debate on the issue.

“It’s going to be part of folk cricket history, part of history that you don’t want cricket to be known for, it will be there forever,” Taylor said.

For a daily dose of the best of the latest news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter in Click here!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *