Houthi ballistic missiles land on uninhabited Saudi land, coalition says
The coalition later said it had destroyed a ballistic missile bunker and launch pads in Saada province in northern Yemen, from where it claims the missiles were launched, Ekhbariya TV reported.
“We are taking operational measures to neutralize and destroy the sources of threat in order to protect civilians,” the coalition said, adding that its military operations were in accordance with international law and customary rules.
A military spokesperson for the Houthis on Tuesday, their armed forces also fired drones at King Khalid’s air base in Khamis Mushait, southern Saudi Arabia, claiming to have hit it. The coalition said it intercepted an explosive drone fired at Khamis Mushait.
Houthi attacks in Saudi Arabia have intensified in recent weeks. On March 7, the coalition said a barrage of drones and missiles was intercepted en route to their targets, which included an oil storage yard in Ras Tanura, site of a refinery and the world’s largest loading facility. of offshore oil to the world. A residential complex in Dhahran used by the state-controlled oil giant Saudi Aramco was also targeted.
The Saudi-led coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015 after the Houthis ousted the Saudi-backed government from power in the capital, Sana’a. The conflict is widely seen in the region as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran.
The The United Nations and the United States urged the Houthis, who are also launching an offensive against the government-held town of Marib in Yemen, to look to negotiations rather than military escalation.
US special envoy to Yemen Tim Lenderking said last week that a “solid plan” for a nationwide ceasefire in Yemen had been presented to Houthi leaders.